A crepe is made from 3 simple ingredients: eggs, flour and milk and resembles a very thin pancake. Crepes are popular in France. It is said that the history of crepes dates back to the 13th of Century Brittany, France. A housewife accidentally dripped some porridge onto a hot cooktop! During this time, people were not inclined to wasting their food so she ate it and that’s how the crepe began! Now, these delicious plates are being served everywhere from street food to fine dining restaurants. Crepe batter is thinner than pancake batter and typically has more eggs in it to keep the thin pancake flexible and easy to bend. This makes it perfect for filling it with food and wrapping it together. We have created a crepe recipe that is simple yet enjoyable! Read below to learn how to make the perfect crepe.
How we make them
Belle Surf Cafe has a pretty diverse menu and we were also known for serving mouth watering crepes. Due to the pandemic, our crepes are not currently offered on the menu. One day, when we are back to hosting customers at full capacity and as busy as we were pre-pandemic, we will be able to bring the crepes back!
We make our crepes on a crepe griddle. First we let the griddles warm up very hot before using them. Once they are ready, then you pour oil on the griddle, and use a paper towel to spread the oil evenly across the surface. Then, you pour one cup worth of batter onto the griddle. Using a crepe batter spreader, you guide the batter in a circular motion around the surface until it is one big circular crepe, kind of like the shape of a big tortilla. Now, you let the crepe cook and become bubbly. Once it’s ready, you flip it using a special spatula!
Now, this is when your chance comes to fill the crepe with whatever you are most excited to eat. The most typical French filling is with lemon and sugar. However, We offer many more sweet options too! Nutella, bananas, strawberries, honey, and more! Or, you can opt for a savory taste with bacon, egg, cheese, veggies, etc.
All of them are absolutely delicious! Once you have added your toppings and they are cooked, you may fold the crepe. Let it cook a little bit more and bon appetite!
This is how we would make them at Belle Surf Cafe but there are many different ways or variations of making crepes, whether it is at home in your pan with alternative ingredients, or a cafe in Paris!
Here is a simple recipe to get started so that you can learn how to make the perfect crepe. Try this at home, it is fun for the whole family!
Easy French Crepes:
1 2/3 Cup Plain / All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Caster Sugar or fine white sugar
One pinch of salt
2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter (melted)
2 Cups Full Cream Milk
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool down
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the plain flour, sugar and salt. Create a well or hole in the middle of the bowl.
- Mix the melted butter and milk, then pour about 2/3 of the batter into the well. Mix well with a whisk until you get a thick batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, then add them to the batter. Whisk until combined and smooth-make sure there are no big lumps anywhere.
- Add the rest of the butter / milk liquid and whisk well until all combined. You should have a rather liquid batter. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to rest for at least an hour, or up to 24 hours.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet or crepe pan on medium/high heat and great it with a little bit of butter or oil.
Pour a small cups worth of batter onto the pan.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the edges of the crepe start to lift up. Use a wooden spatula to get under the crepe and flip! Now, cook the other side for about 1 minute.
- Place the cooked crepe on a plate and repeat this until you have cooked all of the batter! Adjust the temperature of the stove if needed, and re-grease the pan between each crepe if they seem to stick to it.Well, now you know how to make the perfect crepe! A fun way to make breakfast and practice your cooking skills! Enjoy this crepe recipe with your friends or family. It is exciting to gather a bunch of different toppings and figure out your favorite combination. Enjoy!